Thursday, March 10, 2011

It’s Adar. Be Happy!

MisheNichnas Adar marbim b'simcha…. "When Adar arrives we increase our joy."

I have been remiss in failing to share Life is Beautiful All the Time with those of us who may, from time to time, not see it that way.

In beginning this new writing venture, I shall quote my Rabbi, Yechezkel Greenberg, in an article he wrote regarding Purim Katan last month, as it also fits this subject.

"There is a verse in Mishlei 15:15 that says: V'tove Lev Mishteh Tamid," meaning that one who is good hearted and content is always festive… Everything that happens to us, is really for the good, even if it doesn't appear that way! The objective that we strive for, though, as explained in the Gemara (Berachos 60b), Is to reach a level of awareness that all that happens is really for the best, even if we don't immediately understand why. This is the "Lev Tov" referred to in Mishlei, and since he understands that all is good, he can constantly be in a festive mood….

"The Mitzvah to be glad in one's heart applies to both Adar I and Adar II. Both Adars are also a time for the destruction of Amalek. The Zohar says this refers to the eradication of the evil inclination, the perfection of one's heart until only the good inclination remains, which is what the "Lev Tov" (in the singular) verse in the Mishlei refers to. When one reaches that stage, he recognizes how all that happens is really good and he can truly rejoice over Hashem's salvation."

This is the whole essence of Life is Beautiful all the Time. Which, as those who know me know – is something I say a lot.

People ask me "How are you," as people are wont to do and, I reply "Baruch Hashem (Thank G-d), Life is beautiful all the time."

Now, after 10 or 15 years, this can become a tad annoying to those people whom you see every day, especially when things might not be going so well. But, I figure if I can just keep it up, every 100th time or so, I will actually believe what I am saying and remember the truths I     quote above regarding a "Lev Tov."

I began this blog long, long ago (in Internet Time) at Purim when I wrote my explanation of the significance of Purim and the conquest of Iraq. I have revised this story several times since then, always at Purim and, G-d willing, I shall do so again this year.

Today's post is simpler – It's Adar. Be happy.


 


 


 

    

No comments: