Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Let It Snow?

Today is March 23rd.  It snowed last night.  It was raining yesterday so the rain gradually turned to snow and laid down a heavy layer of slushy ice all over everything...

"You want a prediction about the weather, you're asking the wrong Phil. I'll give you a winter prediction: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life…"

- Groundhog Day


 

OH C'MON!  WHAT IS THIS?  MINNESOTA? !!!!


 

Why yes it is...  Oh.  Okay.  Sorry then.   We can deal with a little snow in MARCH - THE BEGINNING OF SPRING!  CAN'T WE... !! ??

Oops.  Sorry.  Yes, of course we can...


 

So, I get up to go to the synagogue for morning prayers, which are at 6:30 AM, as I do every morning, and there is a heavy layer of ice slush all over my wife's car.  

Oy... Sigh...

So, I turn the car on to warm it up and search for the scraper which hasn't been used for a month or so; finally find it and start scraping the windshield...  I get most of the driver's side done and I'm just down to freeing the windshield wiper from the ice when, because I left them on last night when I turned the car off; they both turn on; break free of the ice, and both wipers break off!  

It's 6:30 AM and I am in somewhat of a stupor and the wipers are on the lowest intermittent level so it looks like they just spontaneously went on and then off again.

So, I continue to scrape the windshield while dumbly staring at the broken wiper blades just lying there...

Then the bladeless wipers pop on and off again.

I turn them off in the car.

I pick up a wiper blade and, in the still dark morning, try and see if it reattaches to the wiper arm...  Hmmm... It seems to be broken... I stare at the ice covered attachment thingy, holding the blade in one hand and the wiper arm in the other, pressing them together as if they will magically reattach to each other… After a minute of this, I put down the wiper blade and I begin scraping the windshield once more… when finally, it penetrates my little pea brain that I cannot drive this car in the dark while it's snowing without windshield wipers...

Huh, I think...?


 

Okay.  I turn off the car and go over to my work van; turn it on; and begin the same process all over again...

However, now I am awake and relaxed, being so grateful that I have another vehicle that I can drive that is so easily accessible and planning on how I am going to buy new wiper blades for my wife's car after synagogue...


 

Hey.  It's Minnesota.  I live here.  Life is beautiful all the time... :)

No comments: